Internal Funding

There are a number of funding sources within the Fielding School and throughout UCLA for students wishing to conduct fieldwork in another country. Applications to the programs listed below normally open in March with a deadline of late April/early May. 


Ann and Phil Heymann Fellowship

International field experience in low or middle-income country required. Projects that have the potential to link evidence to advancing population health improvements. Must be working toward the Global Health Certificate. Open to any master's or doctoral student pursuing a degree at FSPH. Awards up to $5,000. 

The Dean's Global Health Fellowship Program

The goal of this program is to offer financial support for international field experiences for students at FSPH working towards the Global Health Certificate. These awards, valued at up to $5,000, are for fieldwork in low- or middle-income countries. The fellowships will help support the cost of work experiences that:

• Bridge the gap between evidence and impact, and
• Assist students in completing the Global Health Certificate 

Learn more about about where and what projects past Dean's Global Health fellows have been involved in out in the field

Bixby Funding Opportunities: Summer Internships, Masters Mentorships and More

The Bixby Center on Population and Reproductive Health has funding opportunities for international experiences focusing on reproductive health and family planning. Additionally, there is funding for Masters Mentorships and Doctoral Fellowships. Please visit the Bixby Center's funding page for more information.

Monica Salinas Internships

These awards, valued at up to $4,000, are for work focusing on Latino or Latin American health and well-being. Please check back in January for more information and application instructions. For more information contact the Student Affairs office.

Drabkin/Neumann Global Public Health Field Experience Endowment

The Drabkin/Neumann Global Public Health Field Experience Endowment sends students to developing countries for their international field experience. The awards, valued at up to $4,500, go towards proposed internships that overlap areas of interest of Community Health Sciences (CHS), such as family, child and maternal health, and nutrition. For more information contact the Student Affairs office.

The UCLA Blum Center Summer Intern Scholar Program

The UCLA Blum Summer Intern Scholar Program is a unique opportunity for outstanding graduate students and undergraduate students to work with programs that are improving the health and social conditions faced by poor and vulnerable populations in Latin America and Los Angeles. For more information, please visit their website.

2017 Guidelines for UCLA Students Traveling Abroad

External Funding Opportunities For Global Health Internships


USAID Global Health Fellows Program II (GHFP-II)

Global Health Fellows Program II (GHFP-II) interns work in a variety of global health technical areas ranging from maternal and child health to nutrition to HIV/AIDS, gaining valuable experience in global health development. Each intern has a specific scope of work and placement site within USAID or with one of its implementing partners. GHFP-II interns may work full or part time for up to six calendar months. Interns work inside USAID offices in Washington, DC (the Agency's headquarters), in the Agency's missions throughout the world, or with Agency implementing partners (other government agencies, multilateral and non-governmental organizations). The summer internship application period starts in early January and closes towards the end of January. For more information, click here.

Child Family Health International (CFHI) Global Health Immersion Programs

Child Family Health International (CFHI) runs 20+ Global Health Education Programs in seven countries placing students in clinics and public health facilities alongside local health professionals. CFHI's one to four month service-learning experiences immerse students in global health realities around the world. CFHI is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the United Nations. CFHI accepts applications for its global health programs on a rolling basis. To learn more, click here.

Awards and Scholarships

Juneal Marie Smith Fellowship in International Nutrition

The Fielding School provides one $2,000 award to a department nominated graduate student who is pursuing a career in international nutrition. For more information please contact the Student Affairs office.

Fulbright Programs

The Fulbright programs offer funding for graduating seniors and graduate students to support travel abroad for study or research. There are two Fulbright programs available. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is for all graduating seniors and graduate students and is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE). The Fulbright-Hays Program is for doctoral candidates to conduct dissertation research and is administered by the U.S. Department of Education (USEd). For more information please click here.

Global Health or International Research Opportunities for Pre-doctoral and Graduate Researchers

The Fogarty International Center, the international component of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), maintains a directory listing of international grants and fellowships in biomedical and behavioral research for pre-doctoral and graduate researchers. Its goal is to provide information about additional funding opportunities available to those in the field of global health research. For more information please click here.

Global Health or International Research Opportunities for Post-doctoral Researchers

The Fogarty International Center also maintains a directory of funding opportunities for post-doctoral researchers. These are available to researchers between completion of a doctoral degree and acceptance of a faculty position. For more information please click here.